Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Great Movies to Bead by....

I spend a lot of time beading 'alone' in my bead room with my trusty computer, and I watch a lot of movies that I've seen a million times (you know, the ones that you don't actually have to look at the screen for because you know them by heart?) I love to see movies that have great jewelry, romance, drama, costuming, or all of the above.

This month, I have chosen an action flick: Gladiator (2000)


Not your normal 'female' fare, but the storyline is enticing (not to mention the scantilly clad men in the story), and the costuming and ornamentation are beautiful. Keep an eye out for the fashion on Lucilla (played by Connie Nielsen), the Emperor's sister, as she has some fabulous jewelry and hair ornamentation (who knew that you could look that fabulous with just a bit of ribbon in your hair?), and for the scene-stealing performances by both Russell Crowe, and Joaquin Phoenix. This storyline deals with issues such as incest and patricide, and does have its bloody moments in combat, and is rated R

Like the idea of Gladiator, but think the men are wearing too much clothing?
Try 300 (2007)
In all seriousness, this is a wonderful film that shows skill and comraderie above all. Keep an eye out for Queen Gorgo (played by Lena Headey) who has a wonderful sense of fasion, and embodies the ideal of a strong, independant woman. This movie can get a bit racey and bloody at times (it is rated R), so keep that in mind.

Seen both of these movies, and are looking for a lighter fair?
Check out Meet the Spartans (2008)

This is a spoof on 300 which stars a couple of well-built, attractive men (ie, Sean Maguire, and Kevin Sorbo), and a lot of their paunchy comrades with jokingly obvious air-brushed abs, as they take on the Persian hoard. This movie is rated PG13 for some hilarious sexual content, and crude language.

2 comments:

  1. I typically work to "Mama Mia!", "Pride & Prejudice" (Kira Knightly version), and "Sense & Sensibility" (Emma Thompson version).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I have yet to see Mama Mia!, but I should add it to my list. Pride and Prejudice was in last month's Great Movies to Bead by, and I was trying to avoid more Jane Austen movies this month because that's all that the list would consist of if I didn't try to think outside my own box!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love to hear what you have to say, and I promise to get back to you as soon as possible :)