Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Great Movies to Bead by....

Having had a very hectic past couple of months, I have neglected to write this column, so, without further adeiu, here it is!

Sense and Sensibility (1995)
With the recent death of their wealthy father, and the estate entailed away from the female line, the Dashwood girls must learn to fend for themselves in a world where money and status are everything. This version stars Emma Thompson as the sensible Elinor, and Kate Winslet as passionate Marianne (and let's not forget Alan Rickman as Col. Brandon). The costumes are beautiful, the people are beautiful, and I think this will always be my favorite.



Sense and Sensibility (2008)
Taking a small liberty with the book, the main cottage is located along a beautiful seaside. Although this version boasts less stars in the main cast than the 1995 version, you will recognize many of the supporting actors from other BBC films. Included are Mark Williams as Sir John Middleton , and the incomparable Linda Bassett as Mrs. Jennings.

That being said, I found the main cast very likeable and believable. Elinor being among my favorite characters of all time, I am very picky about the part, and I really liked Hattie Morahan (whom I was unfamiliar with up until this point) in the part. David Morrissey as Colonel Brandon took a bit of getting used to, but he grew on me.

Both of these movies are available through Amazon.com, and the pictures should be clickable links to their pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love to hear what you have to say, and I promise to get back to you as soon as possible :)