Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Great Movies to Bead by....

The Worst Witch (1986)
The Story: Mildred Hubble is accepted into Miss Cackle's (Charlotte Rae)Academy for Witches based solely on being descended from a long-line of respectable Witches. Her potions making is terrible, her broomstick riding is attrocious, and she's the only girl in the school with a grey kitten. Daunted by a nasty fellow student bent on her demise, a head teacher (Diana Rigg)who simply hates her, and a band of wicked witches trying to take over the school, Mildred (Fairuza Balk) has to dig deep inside herself to save the day (and meet the Grand High Wizard (Tim Curry).


Why I like it: I admit, this is a favorite from my childhood. I wouldn't go trick-or-treating without seeing it. I love that Charlotte Rae plays both the head-mistress of the school Miss Cackle, and her wicked twin sister Aggie. Diana Rigg (with her fabulous cheekbones) portrays a very believeable mean teacher out to get the nice girl, but redeems herself a bit in the end. And if those aren't enough for you, it's totally worth seeing Tim Curry dance around in this hilarious solo where a green screen ( new technology for the time) was used to show not-so-scary Halloween scenes in the background while he sings about my favorite holiday. True, it's a show made for kids in the 80's, but I rather enjoy the cheesy graphics and the cute coming of age story; I hope you will too!


Practical Magic (1998)
Born into a legacy of witches with a dark history, Jillian (Nicole Kidman) and Sally Owens (Sandra Bullock) have never been 'normal'. Raised by their aunts after their parents' death, the sisters grew up in a household that was anything but typical--their aunts fed them chocolate cake for breakfast and taught them the uses of practical magic. But the invocation of the Owens' sorcery also carries a price--some call it a curse: the men they fall in love with are doomed to an untimely death. Now adult women with very different personalities, the quiet Sally and the fiery Gillian must use all of their powers to fight the family curse and a swarm of supernatural forces that threatens the lives of all the Owens women.


Why I like it: Beyond Sandra and Nicole's fabulous hair in this movie (yes, we know they're extensions, but that's hardly the point), I always enjoy a good love story, and Practical Magic delivers. I am a big fan of midnight Margaritas, and chocolate cake for breakfast if I can get it and, no I wouldn't mind very much if Aidan Quinn showed up at my doorstep bent on being my new love interest. Stockard Channing and Diane Wiest have long been favorites of mine, and they are laugh out loud hilarious in this movie at times. It has action, adventure, (needless to say) magic, and a few scenes with a hot undead guy...what more could you want for your Halloween viewing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love to hear what you have to say, and I promise to get back to you as soon as possible :)