Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

New Words

Let me say, first and foremost, that I love my dictionary and thesaurus, and I even like Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, and use them often.  That being said, it is a rare event that I have no idea what a word means, at least at its base.

While reading A Dangerous Affair by Caro Peacock,



I came across the word 'Syllabub' which was central to the plotline.  Now, I could discern from the text that it involved cream, and likely a hefty dose of liquor, and was correct in my assumption, but I just had to look it up to make sure.  Here is what Dictionary.com tells us:

Syllabub:
noun

1. a spiced drink made of milk with rum, port, brandy, or wine, often hot
2. ( Brit ) a cold dessert made from milk or cream beaten with sugar, wine, and lemon juice
3. a dessert of beaten cream that is thickened with gelatin, sweetened, and flavored with wine or liquor.



So there's your new word for the week!  Hope you like it ;)

What did I think of the book?  I was excited to read a novel about Victorian England, but I admit I was a bit disappointed in what I hoped would be a strong heroine.  It seemed as if the plot was thrown together at the end...of course, I was reading an advance copy, so maybe some things changed in the end.  It was a lovely idea, but doesn't prompt me to bother reading the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love to hear what you have to say, and I promise to get back to you as soon as possible :)